Hi,
I am currently pursuing my Master in Information Systems Security. This is my first semester and the first meaningful blog of my life. When I graduate I want to pursue my passion for Information security and make a career out of it. The day when I will be responsible for the security of millions of user information there remains no room for error.First step towards this is to learn to protect my personal information. This is the reason why I choose the article on ID theft of a College Student.
Refer: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/21/earlyshow/contributors/daveramsey/main3188716.shtml
I always believed that identity theft incidents happen only to the rich and famous. Why would anyone target a small fish when there are sharks and whales swimming in the ocean? But I guess catching millions of small ones is easier than getting hold of one big fish.
I learnt that students can protect themselves from ID theft by taking some pretty simple steps.
· Not to leave your personal belongings unattended at the campus or car. Utilize the locker facility on the campus.
· Check the authenticity of any attractive offers or services before divulging your personal information to avail it.
· Banks never ask you to fill your personal information online. So beware if you get a mail asking to do so. The thief will send you a URL that says it's going to your bank, but if you look closely, it'll go to a computer where it goes to an identity thief who's saving it.
· There is also an option for credit freeze. There are some charges for these facilities but it’s not too much compared to the intensity of damage.
· Last but not the least is being aware of such ID theft incidents.
Finally ,All the best Friends.Let today be the day to start protecting ourselves from such thieves.
"Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."
No comments:
Post a Comment